Thursday, January 7, 2010

What did I Accomplish in 2009


Well the New Year is here and looking back on last year, I said to myself, what did you accomplished in 2009.
Back in 2006 my husband and I moved my mom down from Kansas City.
She had lived in an apartment for seniors in Liberty MO. My younger brother DuWayne, had gone to check on her and he said he open her door and she was setting in the dark crying. My husband, Ernie, thought she might be depressed.
My mom was 84 years old at the time and was still grieving, the loss of my sister Carol the year before. So we brought mom home with us for awhile, in the mean time my sister Janice had gotten sick in May 2006 and passed away.
So we had mom for a little longer. She went to stay with my sister Lenora for a few weeks, and then went back to her apartment and then back down with us.
Then my husband and I decided we would buy her a trailer and move her down by us, she would only be 500 yards away from us. So we got her moved in by the end of November of 2006.
We went to Florida and took mom with us. She had a great time. After the trip and everything got settled down she started to get unhappy and getting depressed again. She wanted to move, she was alone, she couldn’t see our house, so we bought another trailer across the street from our home,
hoping this was the answer to her problems.
But it seems no matter what you did it was never going to satisfy her. She was happy for a month and then she would start complaining that no one came to see her or it was to quiet. She was always unhappy where ever you moved her.
Back in February 2009 she went to stay with my sister Lynda for awhile. While she was there she had a stroke. The Drs. Said she could never live alone again. So after her 3 months in the rehab, she came home to live with us.
She moved in with us June 6. My younger sister Lynda and her husband Gary brought her down from Raymore MO., where she was in the Rehab center. I have been taked care of my mother for six months.
Now things have taking a turn for the worse. Over the last couple of months, she was starting to fall more, didn’t want to walk, she was afraid she would fall. She became more reliant on the wheel chair.
There was an attendant that came in four hours, once a week to take care of mom; she noticed a change in mom’s behavior. She wasn’t thing clearly, she couldn’t use her right arm, and it was limp.
So I called the Dr. and made appointment, he thought she was having light minnie strokes.
So he put her in the hospital to get evaluated.
Her dementia was getting bad and she was scared.
They took her off some of her old medicines and tried a couple of new ones, after about a week she seemed to be doing better. I had her transfered back up to rehab canter in Raymore, so she could be near the other children and get the rehab she needed to get the strength back in her legs.
A decision was made that she would not come back down to live with us, that she would go and live with my younger sister Lynda. Lynda wants mom to live with them and this way she would be closer to all the other kids. This does make more sense. It saddens me; because I am no longer able to take care of mom but I also am relieved that she was not going in a nursing home.
The last couple of weeks have not been fun.
Emotions have been like a roller coaster.
Now that decisions have been made, maybe things can settle down in 2010.
I HOPE


The picture is my mother Carel D. Craft Wallace

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful picture of your mom, Viv.I really think she will adapt and make friends there.

    ReplyDelete